Wednesday, May 2, 2012

National Day of Epic Transportational Freedom

At least that's the way I like to think of it. Anyone who knows me will be well aware of the fact that I have been eagerly anticipating this day for YEARS. And that's an understatement. I have literally been counting down the days for months, so you can imagine how shocked I was when I woke up this morning and realized that I was down to 0 days!!!

After the last minute panic of realizing my driving test was 30 minutes earlier than I thought and trying (unsuccessfully) to change the time of my pre-exam driving lesson, we left at 9:05am this morning and drove around town doing some last-minute parking and 3-point-turn practice. Then I had a lesson with a very competent and encouraging instructor which was cut short so I could return to the RTA in time to take the exam.

The exam itself went reasonably well; I wasn't nervous, but was quite stressed and felt terrible to start with. It got better, though, and by the end of the test I was feel pretty confident (except for when I had to undertake for the first time ever - in the exam!).

Fortunately I PASSED!!!!! As if that wasn't enough to send me over the moon, when I had driven over to meet Mum at the Lolly Shack, I found out that my new car was ready to be picked up!! So I received a double blessing, one of which was a totally unexpected surprise.

 Here he is; doesn't he look handsome? 

 I haven't decided on a name for him yet. Suggestions welcome!

 That's right. P PLATES!!! =)


7 comments:

  1. Congratulations and Happy Birthday! Can't say that I would have called your car handsome, but it must be nice to be able to drive yourself around and have your own car. Not sure if you know something I don't know, but what is undertaking regarding cars? I always thought it meant an owner of a funeral parlour, but maybe I need to get out in the driving world more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Matthew!!! Great job - enjoy driving on your own.

    Oh, and Happy Birthday too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy National Day of Epic Transportational Freedom, Matthew!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Caitlin, Bethany and Esther. :) Yes, I'm so relieved to not be dependent on someone else to drive me everywhere. Mum and Dad have put up with me so much this last year. :P

    Undertaking is like overtaking except on the left side of the car (like when the car in front of you is slowing/stopping to turn right). I'd never been in a situation when I HAD to do it before... until today. But fortunately I remembered to do my head checks it was all good. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Matthew! We were thinking of you and wondering how you got on. You have a car!?! Wow :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I was just thinking, a 'P' name could be kinda cool, coz you'll have your P plates for the next couple of years, and so he'd have his initial on his front and back... and then you'd never forget his name.=) But I can't think of any good 'P' names as of yet.=S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, congrats on passing! Personally, whenever I see a Ford of that model, strangely enough, the name Percival immediately pops into my head. Its just an idea, and I know that not many people like the name Percival! (I myself am one of them!) But I'm sure that people out there with smarter brains than mine can think up better names than 'Percival'!

    ReplyDelete