Monday, October 4, 2010

Wonderfully Orchestrated

What follows this brief introduction is not written by me. It is copied with permission from a blog post by Terry Ferguson from Head-lines. While I prefer to only publish my own work on this blog, I found an exception in this post. The content is something which I can really relate to, and I hope you find you will all enjoy it as much as I did. So here we go; Wonderfully Orchestrated:
Tuesday at work I attended a performance by two of the members of the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra during lunchtime.  The music was quite beautiful, a duet between a violin and a bassoon. 


What I found most interesting was the demonstration given by the bassoonist.  He took apart his instrument, and showed how each piece was an individual, integral part of the whole.  If one piece were broken or omitted, the instrument would not function properly...or at all. The science behind the creation of that instrument was fascinating.

That started me thinking... Think of a symphony producing the works of Mozart or Beethoven. It all begins with the individual playing his part. This is much like how our body operates with its 11 systems working in concert. Each part carefully "orchestrated" to work with the other, each having its own unique and integral purpose. If just one part is injured or missing, then the body does not function properly, or at all (death). Example: Hypothalamus gland



It is only the size of the tip of your thumb and weights 4 grams, yet it regulates equilibrium as well as thirst, body temperature, water balance, hunger, and blood pressure. It links the endocrine system with the nervous system. One little part, so vital to the body as a whole.

King David also thought about the intricacies of the human body, and how each part of us is precisely created...he wrote about this in Psalm 139:


"13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

Another fascinating aspect of our created being are "laminins." They are a family of proteins that are an integral part of the structural scaffolding of basement membranes in almost every animal tissue. Laminins are what hold us together...LITERALLY. They are cell adhesion molecules. They are what holds one cell of our bodies to the next cell. Without them, we would literally fall apart.

Here is what the structure of laminin looks like...AND THIS IS NOT a 'Christian portrayal' of it....if you look up laminin in any scientific/medical piece of literature, this is what you will see... (or Google images). Now tell me that our God is not the coolest!!!

The glue that holds us together....ALL of us.

'He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created; things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things HOLD TOGETHER.'


Colossians 1:15-17

Thousands of years before the world knew anything about laminin, Paul penned those words. And now we see that from a very LITERAL standpoint, we are held together ...one cell to another....by the cross.
And that's my thought for the day!

Now You think about it...

1 comment: