Saturday, August 6, 2011

A little project

Hope you're all having a great week. I just thought I'd share with you something of what I've been doing: this is an audio track I made using Sibelius and Notion 3. Notion, an audio editing program and virtual instrument library, is still very new to me and I have yet to work around such issues as dynamics and phrasing, but I'm very happy with the result of this, one of the first of my finished works. It only took a few minutes to make this track after I'd finished arranging the score in Sibelius. I love the virtual instruments, and while it is apparent that this is not a 'real' performance, it's surprising how real the instruments can sound at times.

So here we go: this is an arrangement of Pavane by Gabriel Faure. Parts have been cut out from the original version to make it easier to play, but other than that I've tried to keep it as close to the original as possible. I hope you enjoy it!

Pavane by Matthew Ventura


10 comments:

  1. So that's what you were doing last night. Sounds beautiful. Love Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHA?! You creepy person. That was INCREDIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awh, that's so awesome! I can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, well done! You're making me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, do you have a piano one you might be able to post up? Maybe something that you've composed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't HAVE one that I can post up. I could possibly make one if I could somehow find time, though. It takes a while to record the video and HOURS to upload it, but I'll see.

    The only other compositions I already have on my computer are a Harp & Oboe duet which is so simple I don't like it anymore, and a Tango for Bassoon and Piano which sounds really bad with the virtual instruments. But I'll see what I can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. is Notion a superior equivalent of garrets personal orchestra?? it sounds awesome! well done :D do you have to input each note individually?

    ReplyDelete
  8. GPO is basically just a sound library which isn't much good when you need a program to use it. Notion is a program that lets you use any sound library (including GPO) and also comes with its own default sound library (LSO). The notation method is really lame on Notion, so I input notes on Sibelius first then export a MIDI file which I then import into Notion.

    I wouldn't say either of them are superior; they're both good in different ways. For example, in the piece above I used an LSO flute for some parts because it has a nice soft tone with subtle vibrato, but in other parts the GPO flute did a better job because it has a much sweeter sound on the high notes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's okay, I was just interested =) If you haven't got time, then don't worry for now.

    ReplyDelete