Sunday, July 11, 2010

An answer to prayer

Okay, well most of you may find this post irrevelevant or even boring (as probably most of my posts are), but something so exciting happened that I have to share it with someone - or everyone.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been praying very hard about how God wants me to spend my life, and what career pathway he has planned for me. I have some of my own ideas based on my own feelings, but I really want to know for sure exactly what He wants me to do with my life. So I've been praying really hard about it for quite some time, but not really getting any answers. In fact, it didn't seem like I was getting any response at all.

But then things started happening. Seemingly out of the blue Mum received an email from a student of the Sydney Conservatorium whom she (Mum) had emailed months before, with no response, whom we had all forgotten about long ago. Apparently she was doing research as part of her PhD into the effects that being homeschooled have on one's music education. She was looking for willing families through which to conduct the research, so of course Mum volunteered us. Months later we received an email back saying she would very much like to come and see our family in the July holidays.

So on Tuesday she came and spent several hours interviewing us and listening to us perform. Nothing special had happened up to this point. Then we got to talking with her and found out that she was homeschooled (which we had kind of guessed already) and had studied a Bachelor of Music Education majoring in Flute. You can imagine how excited I was to have somebody to talk to that has experienced and done exactly what I am interested in doing. It was the most amazing help to be able to ask all these questions I've been wanting to ask someone for YEARS, as well as having the assurance that this person understood exactly where I was coming from, having come from there herself. To me it was a heaven-sent opporunity to find the answers I'd been looking for. Long story short, we (or I) ended up interviewing her more than she did us. Fortunately she didn't mind at all, and I was overjoyed at receiving the guidance I'd been praying for. Not only because I now have a clear idea of what God wants me to do, but also because it was such a blessing to see prayer answered so effectively!



P.S. I didn't take that photo, much as I would like to say I did...

2 comments:

  1. It's always so exciting, isn't it, when God answers our prayers. I always find myself amazed, but then I really shouldn't be as I should expect God to answer my prayers. So what career are you exactly looking at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I shouldn't be so amazed at it, but I still am. I guess the way God works is just so hard for us as humans to understand.

    I'm looking at music education. I plan to study a Bachelor of Music Education at the ANU, then get a job teaching Music in a school in a rural area like Cooma, as well as teaching the Flute (and possibly other instrument/s) privately. I'm also considering the possibilities of teaching another school subject, but I'm not sure which yet.

    Matthew.

    ReplyDelete