Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lesson from my iPod

Well, not exactly, but something that happened with it taught me something. On the weekend Caitlyn and I were travelling on the bus up to Canberra for a rabbit show, and we were both listening to songs on my iPod. After some discussion as to which songs we should listen to, we decided to save 'the best' for later on in the trip, and started listening to some of the 'not-so-nice' songs. Unfortunately, though, we had only listened to a couple of songs before my iPod died (it has a habit of randomly turning itself on while it's in my bag, and playing until it runs out of battery). Imagine my frustration when we didn't get to hear any of our favourite songs, and then had 4 hours of sitting on the bus with nothing to listen to. I felt so silly for actually choosing not to listen to the good songs. It brought into sharp realization the fact that there is nothing to gain by saving good things for "later." There may not be a later. If you have something you want to do and you have the opportunity, don't wait. Just do it.

I'm the sort of person that is constantly setting goals for myself. It struck me how much I'm always thinking of a new goal and then putting it aside to do "later." I have stacks of goals to be completed some other time when it's more convenient. Well, one thing I've learnt lately is that life rarely (if ever) gets more convenient and that there is no time like the present. If you don't do something now you may never get the chance again.

So my new goal is to accomplish all of my goals as soon as opportunity presents itself without waiting for it. So I shall make a start by publishing this post before it gets so long that nobody wants to read it and before my laptop battery runs out and my computer dies.

Happy Holidays everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I always save the best for last, too :P Although, I've never had an iPod die on me. Must have been pretty frustrating!

    ReplyDelete