Tuesday, January 4, 2011

10 things I'm grateful for 2010

As we start a new year, I decided it might be interesting and worthwhile to make a list of some of the things that I'm thankful to have received or done in 2010:

#1 I've finished the last year of not being able to drive. Yep, that's a big thing for me. I can finally start to learn to drive this year! Only 116 days to go now...

#2 I got to learn the bassoon!! I'm still amazed at how everything just came together for that to happen. A week before it happened I would never have dreamed it would have even been possible, but God pulled things together like He does and before I knew what hit me I was enjoying the opportunity of a lifetime.

#3 Snowy Mountains Ensemble. Taking over leadership of an ensemble at the end of 2'nd term this year was a huge learning experience for me, but one for which I am extremely grateful. Not just because I've learnt from it, but because I've finally been able to give something back to the Cooma music community which has given so much to me! With five new members joining in the last term, the ensemble has come a long way from the time when there was only one regular member outside of our family. It has been a huge encouragement to see God bless the ensemble so much.

#4 Friends! We've met a record amount of people this year, some of whom are really nice Christian people. It's always so encouraging to meet like-minded people, and I hope to get to know them a lot better in 2011.

#5 Community. The community here in Cooma is remarkable. I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say that the general attitude of giving so generously is very humbling. I'm also thankful to have received opportunities this year to begin giving back to the community a little of all I've received over the years.

#6 Jesus' sacrifice! Okay, sure this didn't exactly happen in 2010, but I can still be grateful for it! This deserves a place on ANY list of things to be thankful for.

#7 Vella - my new flute. If you're a musician you'll know exactly how I feel. After upgrading from an inferior instrument to a much better, more reliable instrument that is SO much nicer to play, I can't help but be forever thankful for those involved in helping me to get it. Thank you - you know who you are.

#8 Finishing Year 10. What a great feeling! Less than 2 years to go until it's all over for good!! Not that I don't enjoy it; don't get me wrong, I love doing schoolwork a lot more than nearly everybody I know, but I just can't wait until I can study the subjects that I actually want to study at uni - things that will actually help prepare me for a career. Right now I can hardly think of anything more exciting than being able to learn more about music and teaching, so this was a real milestone for me.

#9 We had an extension built! The whole house is so much better with it, and it has immensely benefited all of us.

#10 I got accepted into the MuST program at ANU!! That was probably the highlight of my year, as I'm sure you've all figured out by reading my previous blog posts...


2010 was a really good year for me, but on the other hand I'm really excited about what 2011 might hold. I might even do a post about my goals/resolutions for this year.
What are you thankful about from 2010? Do you have any New Years Resolutions or anything you're looking forward to about this new year?


1 comment:

  1. I have a lot to be thankful for from 2010, but I guess most prominent to me presently are
    #1 My exchange and everything to do with it (the people I've met, the fact I'm allowed to go and was selected to go etc etc etc)
    #2 My friends and their support of me, especially when it comes to this exchange.
    #3 Having Mr.Nightingale as a teacher. No really. That's in the top 3.
    #4 My 10 days in Malaysia
    #5 Disney. And anime. And manga.

    What am I looking forward to? A year in a foreign country and everything that will entail.

    ReplyDelete