Friday, March 18, 2011

10 things that make me individual

You could also say 10 weird facts about me - and you'd be right - but somehow that didn't quite look right as the subject title. So - here's your chance to see how well you really know me seeing how many of the below facts you already knew:

1) I like school. From algebra and physics to biology and grammar, I really enjoy learning about things. Especially grammar. I love everything about English except writing. Science is my favourite subject, though. Biology is the most fascinating topic I've ever had the privilege of covering in school.

2) I love early music. By "early" I mean written a long time ago. As in a loooooong time ago. Not just Classical, but early Baroque, Renaissance, and even Medieval. The sort of thing that few people ever hear, fewer people play, and hardly anyone listens to. I often listen to Baroque music for hours on end. I love the tone of the early instruments - especially the strings.

3) I have unusual tastes. There are some things, like most chips and lollies, that everyone loves to eat, but I don't actually like. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them. I just don't really like them. I like a lot of lollies, but some of the ones I will avoid are (in order of best to worst) dark chocolate, snakes, jelly babies, jelly beans, bananas, Turkish Delight, humbugs, & licorice. Licorice is a nightmarish substance. I generally quite like original flavoured chips, but won't touch any other flavour (besides maybe Salt & Vinegar if I'm starving).

(By the way, if you get the impression I'm a picky eater after reading the above paragraph, I'm not. I almost always eat whatever food I'm given. Eating is like life - you won't like everything you come across, but you've just got to swallow it down and move on. The exception being, of course, when you come across licorice. Or almond jelly. In which case you turn around and run the other way screaming.) I actually love zucchini, squash, raw parsley, and most cooked vegetables in general. See, I'm not a picky eater. I just have my own preferences. I prefer most cooked vegetables over many meats. When we have a roast, I'm just as happy to leave the meat to someone else and compensate by having extra veggies.

5) I love *insert adjective here* weather. Whatever weather comes, I'm generally very pleased with it. I don't really have a preference for sunny days, rain, storms, or even snow. Provided, of course, it doesn't effect the cancellation of any events to which I am looking forward. As long as there is a bit of variety, I'm very happy with any weather.

6) I'm not crazy about skiing, snowboarding or any other snow sports. Not only that, when given a choice, I will usually defer it. Apart from the fact that it is extremely costly and the pleasure is only very temporary, it just doesn't appeal to me that much. I'd much rather stay home and cook, weed the garden, or practice.

7) I'm equally not-keen on video games. And not just because I fail at them. There are a selected few that I like (e.g. Super Mario Bros., PS3 Tennis), some that I can tolerate (Fifa, Little Big Planet, and Mario Kart when I'm in a good mood), but generally I don't like playing [m]any other video games. I especially don't enjoy such games as MoH, CoD, & Halo. It's not that I have anything against them (well, except for the fact that people get addicted to them and all that) but again, they just hold no appeal for me.

8) I'm unco beyond description. Seriously. Sports are not my forte. It's annoying how people have such high expectations of me, as Bradley's brother. When it comes to physical capabilities, I'm Captain Incompetent.

9) One of my favourite things to do is make cookies and randomly give them away. It's actually becoming a specialty of mine. One day I'm going to randomly see a complete stranger and they'll remember me as the guy who made their day by giving them a cookie when they were feeling depressed, turning them into a cheerful, generous person instead. Then we'll become lifelong friends and help make the world happier by distributing cookies for everyone. At least that's the plan.

10) One of my biggest fears is being late. The only nightmares I've had in years have always been about not getting somewhere on time.

So, make a note of how many of these facts you already knew, and if you're brave enough, leave a comment with your score (?/10). I'd like to know how much about me people already know. :D Don't be embarrassed by a 'low' score; the lower the score, the more you just learnt about me!

Have a great weekend.

5 comments:

  1. I am going to tell you my score, even though it isn't that great. I scored about 3 1/2. Totally agree with you about being late, liquorice and almond jelly (though I have never tasted it, but it sounds rather unpleasant. Does it taste like Marzipan? If it does, then I think it most definitely must be distasteful to the lips).

    I also have am message for you from the Roberts. It is, "We love you, because you're sensible and serious but also humourous." Mum told me to write that when I read out sections of your post. I believe you must be a rare species. :)

    Hopefully, we'll see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3½ is actually pretty good considering that I'm a nasty quiz-maker (if this could be considered a quiz). Fortunately I've never tasted marzipan (and hopefully never will) but I can tell you that almond jelly is probably one of the foulest substances ever to be considered a food. It has the same flavour as almond essence, so I'm guessing it does taste something like marzipan.

    Serious and humourous? I didn't realize I was such a paradoxical person. =P And is being a rare species a good thing or not? On second thoughts, you might not want to answer that question... ;)

    Thanks for commenting, and we can't wait to see you all on Saturday!

    Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    I got 4 and 3/4 out of 10. I knew you had unusual tastes but there is nothing unusual about hating licorice. I despise it, so that makes it normal :). And btw, you are not unco beyond description. I think you lose to my bro-in-law Sean in being the most unco person. No offense!

    Looking forward to Sat.
    Lachlan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a rare species is a good thing. :) Usually people are either humourous and everything they say is a joke, or people are serious and you can only talk about theology with them. I don't have a problem with theology, but that isn't the only thing I like to talk about. It's nice when there is a mixture. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Lachlan. It's good to know that hating licorice is normal (then why do they still make the stuff?!) but I wouldn't say that it's normal BECAUSE you despise it... And it's a comfort to know I'm only the 2'nd most unco person ever. Xp

    I'm glad to hear that, Bethany, and I totally know what you mean about those people who only like to talk about deep philosphical matters...

    Can't wait until tomorrow! :D =) Xp =p :) =D XD =] :p

    Matthew.

    ReplyDelete