Thursday, April 29, 2010

A little window into my life

One of the reasons I initally created this blog was to record interesting events and happenings in my life. Well it struck me yesterday that I haven't really done much of that. I had a very eventful day on Tuesday, which I thought might be interesting enough to blog about, so here goes:

I started by riding 10-12 km into town (not sure about the exact distance) on a bike that had only been assembled the evening before. By me. That in itself was cause for worry, because I'd never assembled a bike before in my life, nor did I have instructions to follow to ensure I did it properly. It would appear that I didn't do anything majorly wrong, though, because the bike held together all the way into town (and is still in one piece now, believe it or not). I got into town early and spent half an hour walking around town singing, looking at the latest rabbits in the Pet Shop, and eating a Billabong ice block. When the bus came I was very disappointed to find that I had left my ipod at home. So I got to spend 2 hours sitting on the bus doing nothing much except look at the same scenery I see for 4 hours every other week. I tend to do a lot of thinking in a situation like that, which is somewhat unfortunate for those who follow my blog, because when I do lot of thinking I blog about my thoughts, which is, I think, quite mundane for those who have to put up with me.

Anyway, the trip up was quite ordinary, and I tried to pass the time by thinking up some lyrics for a piece I need to compose for an assignment. My MuST classes were quite average, and nothing much of interest happened. (Except that I found out we will be having an oral test in 2 weeks. I've never had an oral test before... and apparently they are quite challenging. But this isn't interesting for those reading my blog so I shall change to a new subject.)

The return bus trip found us making quite good time, and I was pleased to note that at this rate we would arrive back in Cooma 20 minutes earlier than usual. Even the train we had to wait for at Canberra Station was early. Things were looking up. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched, Matthew. No sooner had we (the bus occupants) left Canberra than we were all startled by a sharp popping sound followed by a constant, high-pitched sound. The bus driver pulled over as soon as possible to inspect the cause for this, and found that a hose had burst. It was no major calamity, he assured us, and was easily fixed, provided he had the clamp necessary to repair it. It turns out he had literally everything BUT the clamp. So we had to wait on the side of the highway for over an hour for the mechanic to arrive. I decided it would be a good idea to call Mum and let her know about the delay so she wouldn't be waiting to pick me up all night wondering where I am. THEN I found out that my mobile phone was out of credit. How on earth was that possible? I don't know. I've only had it for about 8 weeks, of which I only turn it on once a week, on Tuesdays. Even then, I only usually make one call in the evening to let Mum know to pick me up. And because we have a system of signals, she doesn't even have to pick up! Apparently it doesn't cost anything that way. I've heard people talk about how their mobile credit mysteriously disappears, but never took much notice. Now I know it's true - just like there is a little monster living inside each washing machine that eats socks, there is also a mobile phone monster that eats up credit!! For a while I was too shy to ask anyone if I could borrow their mobile, but eventually necessity overcame apprehension, and I borrowed an elderly lady's phone to call home.

After more than an hour of waiting, the mechanic arrived with the clamp, the problem was fixed in no time, and the bus was back on the road. It was good to be on the way home again! As I was looking out the window at the well-known scenery, I realized that everything was totally different now. It almost seemed foreign now, and I hardly recognized the places we were travelling through. You know what was different? The sun had set. Everything was dark. It dawned upon me what a tremendous difference light makes to our lives. That 1 hour of waiting made a remarkable difference to the trip home. Nothing looked the same anymore. Not only that - the blanket of darkness made everything feel different too! Have you ever gone for a walk at night and come back later during the day only to find that the place is nothing like how you imagined it was at first? That's exactly how I felt. All the way back I was having this mental battle with myself, trying to convince my subconscious mind that it IS the same place I travel through every week. I kept telling myself that the ONLY difference is that the sun is now on the other side of the planet. The result? Absence of light. My subconscious mind responded with, "Pah! As if a little thing like that would make so much difference to this place!" I had to agree with him there. I think my subconscious mind won the mental battle this time.

If someone had tried to tell me what an enormous effect absence of light had on the human mind, I probably wouldn't have believed them. Having experienced it myself now, I strongly encourage you to do the same. Next time you get the chance, take a walk on your own in a quiet, outdoor place, and feel the difference. If you return to the same place the next morning, I guarantee you will be amazed at how different everything seems. The only word I can think of that describes it properly is "indescribable."

The situation kept reminded me of a bible passage I had memorized some years ago. When I got home I looked it up, and found it was a passage in John:

 19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
 20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
 21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. (John 3:19-21, King James Version)

I learned a helpful lesson from this. A lot of my thinking involves asking myself questions and then pondering them. The questions I asked this time was, "Do people perceive you as walking in darkness or light? Is there even a noticeable difference between the way you live and the world? Do you act like a really good Christian in the "daytime", but change character when the "darkness" comes?" It's so easy to turn from our Christian walk when we think no one will notice. Have you ever experienced that feeling when you go for a walk at night on your own, and you feel so carefree and casual, as if you could do anything you wanted, and no one would mind? It's a dangerous feeling, and often leads to stumbling if we don't make an effort control ourselves. Jesus is the source of all "light." Are you letting his light shine through you onto the world? Are you an encumbrance, or do you magnify the light for all to see?

 14Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
 15Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
 16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16, King James Version)

3 comments:

  1. O.o Hmmmm interesting and I thought Blonds where only forgetful. I do believe you are the one who is blond; maybe you should go check your hair colour in the mirror. Not me :P

    Lol I know what you mean about everything being different when its dark. The first place we moved to in QLD was in the middle of the night, when we woke up it was so weird, nothing looked how I thought it looked at night.

    K.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matthew,
    Maybe your credit disappeared because the expiry date had run out. That's very inventive system so you don't have to answer the phone. I hope your next bus trip runs more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete