Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My piccolo!!

As most of you probably know already, I have been playing the flute for nearly 3 years. What many of you probably do not know is that I am now learning the piccolo. My piccolo has been "in repairs" for a while, but it finally came back yesterday. I am SO excited about learning it - I think the longer I had to wait for it the more excited I became.

My piccolo (I still haven't come up with a name for it yet - any suggestions are welcome!) is the prettiest looking instrument I've ever had the privilege of owning. The body is made of ebonite, and I'm told that the keywork it is most likely gold plated! Whatever it's plated with, it looks good. It's absolutely tiny, being only a finger's width, and as short as 2 hand's lengths!

The main reason I'm so excited about it, however, is this: since a piccolo is basically just a very small, very high pitched flute, the playing techniques are very much the same. That means that I get to enjoy all the fun of learning a new instrument, but without having to worry about learning any new techniques!!

While the technique is very similar, the sound of the piccolo is very different to that of the flute. It is much more of a light "whistling" sound, and sounds more cheerful & bright. Some of the high notes can be shrill at times, though. I try to avoid playing those notes for the sake of my family, myself, and our windows!


On a different note (no pun intended), I am really loving my flute and piano at the moment. My (well, our) keyboard is leaving us to go live with Joshua tomorrow, because there is no piano where he lives. I'm so glad that he will have a keyboard to play, but at the same time I feel like I've lost a very close friend. I suppose that's very selfish of me, considering that we've got a perfectly lovely Yamaha upright piano here, but all the same I can't help having the feelings. Every piece I've ever composed was on that keyboard, so my emotional attachments to it are justified.

Speaking of compositions, I am uncontrollably excited about a composition workshop that is going to be held right here in Cooma on the 2'nd of May. A group of professional musicians and composers are coming to show high school students how to compose and arrange music for an ensemble, then they will put on a concert featuring all the new compositions. Then on May 6-9 I get to attend a music workshop which is being held at the ANU School of Music as part of my music course, MuST (Music for Students with Talent). I don't know what the workshop is going to be about yet, but it is held by very professional musicians, and goes for 4 days in a row, so I'm sure it will be packed with exciting new things to learn. I can't wait! The only problem is that Mum or Dad is going to have to drive me up there and back every day, since the bus from Cooma to Canberra would arrive too late for the workshop and we don't really know anyone in Canberra, so staying there isn't really an option.

Finally, for those of you who haven't heard a piccolo, to give you some insight into what it sounds like, here is a sample mp3 of a piccolo concerto. It may not sound really impressive to you, but I like it, and I also wanted to see if I could embed an mp3 file into a blog post, which is part of the reason why I did this - please let me know whether it works for you, and if you have any trouble downloading it. Thanks!

Edit: I have been informed that the piece I had here previously was actually performed on a descant recorder, not piccolo - a very embarrassing mistake on my part. Anyway, this time it's a real piccolo (I know for sure, because I actually saw it played), although unfortunately it is a different piece. It is a different movement from the same concerto by Vivaldi.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Matthew,

    Here is a name for your piccolo. Penda. It's a girls name meaning "beloved". Hope you like it. Do you have a name for your flute?

    The piccolo sounds really nice. I had never heard of it before until I read your post.

    You are blessed,
    Lachlan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penda! That's an awesome name for her. I shall tell her about it tomorrow. ;-)

    Actually, my flute doesn't have a name either! I don't know how I overlooked it. Any suggestions? You seem to be good at this sort of thing!

    So the flash player worked for you? It took me a while to get it going and I wasn't sure how it'd appear on other browsers. I still have to click the play button twice before it starts playing. I'll have to take another look at the html coding tomorrow and see if I can fix it up.

    God bless,

    From Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matt! I thought I would coment on your latest Blog, cos you want me to so badly, I mean why else would you keep saying I have already.

    Any way Hi. Nice pic of the piccolo.

    Later

    K.C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matthew,

    I also play the flute, although I haven't been learning for very long. It's an amazing instrument, isn't it?

    In 2008 we renovated our kitchen/dining area and added a few rooms, and late last year we finished off renovating our bathroom. It was quite a new and fun experience! Do you find it hard while living in the process of it?

    I looked at the rest of your blog and really liked it; I think my favourite post was of the rabbits.... they are soooo cute! A few years ago we had a rabbit called Frodo.... he was so tame that we kept him in the same pen as our crazy chickens, who always attacked each other. He was probably one of the easiest animals we've ever had to care for.

    Anyway, all the best with your blogging =)
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachael,

    The flute really is an amazing instrument! I've been learning for almost 3 years, and I still love practicing it for hours. Do you do flute exams? They are SO much fun, and very rewarding!

    We are really enjoying the whole renovating process, but yes, it is harder living here while the work is still in progress. Nowhere near as bad as it could be, though - it just takes much longer to get around since we can no longer use the side door that used to be the most central point of the property.

    I'm glad you've been enjoying the blog! I'm totally new to the whole blogging thing, so I'm not really sure sometimes if I'm even "doing it right." It really helps to have feedback from the readers!

    Wow, that rabbit post has been a lot more popular than I initially expected! I might do another post soon with all my purebred rabbits. You're right about them being tame and easy to look after! Rabbits when looked after properly are THE best pet available (after dogs, perhaps). That's the first time I've heard of a rabbit being housed together with crazy chickens, though! ;-)

    Thanks for the encouraging comments everybody!

    Matthew.

    ReplyDelete