Saturday, May 29, 2010

My oboe

About a year ago I purchased a second-hand oboe from Ebay with intentions of learning to play it. When it arrived I was very surprised to find it had completely different keywork to a modern oboe. My flute teacher (who also teaches the oboe) took it home and studied it, and learned that it was made about 150-200 years ago! I had no idea I would be getting a rare antique oboe when I bought it. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have gone ahead with the purchase. It has a very basic fingering system (which makes tuning difficult and limits the playing range); since it had different keywork to a modern oboe, it meant I had to figure out how to play each note by experimenting with different fingerings until I found the right one. That in itself wouldn't have been too much of a problem (as I do love a good challenge), except that most instruments made several hundred years ago are tuned to a different pitch to instruments today. Of ALL the different instruments, oboe happens to be the one that can't be tuned (well, it can, but only very slightly). That means that I can't play this oboe with any other instruments without it being excruciatingly out of tune.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I haven't got a good use for this oboe, so I've decided to resell it. An experienced oboe player could possibly adjust the reeds to make it play in tune, and I'm hoping that such a person will take an interest and take the instrument off my hands. I spent all afternoon on Wednesday fixing up the oboe, oiling the body, and making sure everything was in working order. This involved taking apart all the keywork, oiling it down, then trying to put the keys back in the right places. I already knew that there was a spring that needed replacing, but other than that everything was in good shape. After a good clean and wipe-down, it looked shiny and new again.

This was my first time taking apart an instrument, and I found it quite fun and interesting, and very educational. Here are some photos I took of before, during, and after the process.

This is the bottom half of the oboe before being dissembled.

Top half before being dissembled:

Top half after having all keys except one removed (the screws were so tight I couldn't budge it - ironically, this was the one key that wasn't working properly and actually needed fixing).

Keys from the top half of the oboe, along with the screwdrivers I used, a small bottle of oil, and the bell from the oboe.

The finished work after being oiled and reassembled.

If anyone knows anyone looking for an antique oboe that plays out of tune, let me know!! =D I'd be most happy to oblige.

No comments:

Post a Comment